23 February 2018 By Tash Ellens
Celebrate blood orange season with our zesty blood orange and almond chocolate brownies. From their deep crimson juices to the distinct sweet-tart flavour, what's not to love about this gorgeous fruit? You're only six steps away from treating your taste buds with these rich yet light and fudgy brownies.
- 150g butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 120g dark chocolate (I used Green & Blacks blood orange and almond chocolate bar for additional texture, it also contains blood orange oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 70g cocoa powder
- 100g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1tsp baking powder
- Zest from 2 blood oranges
- Juice from 1 blood orange
- 2 eggs
Preheat the oven to 165C and line a 23cm square baking tray
- In a non-stick saucepan, melt the butter, sugars, chocolate and vanilla essence until combined and slightly thickened - you want it so that only some of the sugar has dissolved. Leave the mixture to cool, stirring occasionally to dissipate some of the heat.
- In a large bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and most of the orange zest (leave some of the zest for decoration.)
- Whisk the eggs on a high speed until blended. Reduce the speed and add the melted chocolate mix, pouring down the side of bowl to allow the mix to cool and not scramble the eggs.
- Mix for a further minute on high before stopping to add the blood orange juice and cocoa powder mix in full. Mix on a low speed until completely incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared tin and smooth with a spatula. Cook in a preheated oven for 35 minutes, until firm to touch.
- Remove from the tin after 10 minutes and leave to cool before cutting into squares and sprinkling over the remaining blood orange zest.