At Alitex we have a commitment to the pursuit of sustainable business practises in all areas of our operation.
We acknowledge the nature of our work can result in environmental impacts and pollution; therefore we are committed to controlling and minimising this impact.
- We continually investigate opportunities to minimise our product’s impact on the environment, not only during their sale, design and manufacture, but also in the product’s lifetime
- We ensure environmental issues are considered in all key business decisions
- We have a dedicated Sustainability Team, who regularly set and monitor the achievement of environmental objectives in order to promote continuous improvement
- We actively encourage waste reduction, re-use and re-cycling during the day to day activities of our business
- We minimise the adverse environmental impacts of waste generation and promote the safe and responsible disposal of all waste
- We include all members of our team in the suggestion, research and development of new initiatives to both reduce our carbon footprint and create more sustainable ways of going about our business
- We continue to develop a more sustainable approach to the company’s activities.
What have we actually done?
Aluminium and gas are the biggest contributors of C02 at Alitex. Aluminium is core to our product, but through smarter design and reduced wastage we are able to control this impact, currently 32% of aluminium produced comes from recycled waste.
- The insulation of well oven has saved approx. 22Te of CO2 per year
- The new compressor produces only 50% of the old machines CO2, saving approx. 17Te of CO2 per year
- Our new paint plant uses less gas and less wastage of paint reducing our footprint by 12%
- Aluminium waste, where possible, is reused for the manufacture of new products
- Recycling by all departments is now in place with our overall non-recyclable waste being reduced by 75% This has resulted in the number of skips for waste being reduced from 30 to 11 a year
- We have become fanatical about ensuring that at the end of each day everything is switched off at the mains.
- We ensure that any vehicle used is the most efficient one available and suitable for the job at hand
- As part of our commitment to supporting low carbon initiatives we purchase cars with low carbon emissions, high level of recyclable materials and long service intervals.
Greener living at Torberry Farm
- We have solar panels on our factory roof
- Our Biomass boiler fuels our paint plant and office heating
- The introduction of the Alitex allotments in 2010 has created a glut of home grown produce, lovingly tended by our current allotment holders
- We have vast rain water tanks holding 20,000 litres which are used to water the grounds reducing our demand for mains water.